Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hi all,

I've been busy as usual with knitting projects, neglecting the housework, husband and doggies as usual.. thank all the Gods of this Universe that they still love me..

I have been contemplating creating pattern instructions.. this is kind of a complicated thing for me, as sometimes I "knit on the fly"  and make stuff up as I go along.. this is great.. if only I would remember long enough to stop and write it all down..

However, there are a couple of patterns and I want to give credit where credit is due for some of my creations..  Here is a blog I am inspired and entertained by:  Crazy Aunt Purl.  I found this while searching for an easy to knit slouchy beanie hat.   I have modified this pattern somewhat, and found that using No. 6, 16 inch circulars work great for the ribbing, and then just transfer the rest of the work on No 8, 47 inch circulars, then the hat has a nicer drape.   I am looking forward to trying this on No 10 circulars to use up my stash of bulkier yarns I have on hand.   I plan on keeping the ribbing using the No 6 circulars as it gives a good snuggy fit.

Here is the basis of my hat patterns: http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2011/06/  

The instructions are located in the June 5, 2011 entry.   She has other cute hat patterns there too, which  I have not tried out.. since this one hat is my favorite.

Another individual I want to give kudos to is Drew Emborsky, " The Crochet Dude"   Here is the link to his pattern:

http://www.premieryarns.com/App_Themes/premieryarns.com/pdfs/P00151.pdf

Moving along to another note:  Here is what I've been up to:
I am making this one up as I go along, as my daughter-in-law requested something different with her armwarmers.  The finished length will be 14" long, and will have a simple k1, p1 ribbing at the bottom and top.. with an opening for her thumbs.. (like a button hole)


She has the tiniest little hands ever.. I used my favorite cast on method.  I will post the video in just a sec.

A tip I read from Crazy Aunt Purl's blog.. Cast on an extra stitch, and then when you are ready to join the round, knit two stitches together ( I use both the tail and the working yarn, and wrap both around my right needle for a couple of stitches to anchor it more securely, then drop the tail, and continue using the working yarn)   It will create a more even edge and nicer finish.

 Here is the video to do the long tail cast on.  It provides a much sturdier foundation, and a more polished look:  http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/long-tail-cast-on

With Bre's fingerless gloves, I casted on 37 stitches, and then when  joined the first row together, I knitted two together, and purled the next stitch, then the ribbing is a basic k1, p1 all the way around for a nice 1.5" inches or so.    A tip of my own:  When making the ribbing, use an EVEN number of cast on stitches, (after you have joined the first row together with the k2 tog, p1)  Thus, in this case, subtracting one stitch and the count will be 36 stitches for the rest of the project.  Then your k1, p1's will line up just nicely and as perfect as can be.


Another tip.. (it is one of those "Why didn't I think of this before" moments:   You know how yarn likes to roll all over the place while you are working on a project:   Here's how to stop it.. Put a DPN through the ball of yarn..  it works!



 Clever, huh?

Again, here are my links:
www.Facebook.com/CrazyCozyChick
www.CrazyCozyChick.Etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment